Monday, February 19, 2007

Dear God Its only Feb


Colourful depiction of a funeral process with wailing women, Noble's Tomb, Luxor.
Oh God.
Have been a busy, busy little bee.
Too much to do sometimes I can't breathe.
Things seem to be developing on all fronts. And everyday is a bloody learning experience. Learn learn learn learn learn.
I reached bursting point last week. Then I let out some air, and embracing the adrenaline. Of having to work now almost all the time - office, studying, Arabic - all which i have serious deadlines for. I am 'stoked' though, and feel very much alive.
Am turning 35 in 2 months, so its a race against time.
Official Middle Aged-ness.
In the meantime, while I am preoccupied with my personal developement, thousands of refugees are pouring out of Iraq into neighbouring Jordan and Syria, and Jordan has the dubious distinction of hosting the world's largest refugee population currently.
Signs of climate change abound.
Statistics for HIV infections in Malaysia soaring, markedly in the female population.
Crystal meths now the drug of choice in the streets, overtaking heroin, in potency and life expectancy.
My colleague told me of a woman a few days ago who was raped and beaten so badly she crawled under the table and refused to budge. She attempted suicide with liquid soap, twice.
Someone else had to turn away a man with no money no home because we were not mandated to help him.
So much to do. And yet so much energy on personal things, personal time, personal fun, personal achievement, personal success.
Eversince I've become part of management, I feel so divorced from reality because I dont meet so many Clients anymore, and it feels like am doing many things mainly for myself. Self glory, self adulation, self indulgence. self self self. and more self.
I have to try and justify my existence, hopefully before 25 April. that am here for more than just myself. 35 years and still self absorbed, bloody hell.

9 Comments:

Blogger Ms J said...

halva, you are not selfabsorbed. you do so much more than most of us!

6:34 AM  
Blogger Ms J said...

...put together!

6:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hear! Hear!

3:18 AM  
Blogger The Pettifers said...

You really do!

I've stumbled across your blog whilst surfing the net and have been reading it for a while. But there are gaps for strangers who are intrigued by your life. What nationality are you, and where are you living and working at the moment? What sort of humanitarian organisation do you work for?

The thing that intrigues me the most is the way that womanhood is such a universal experience. Here I am in England at roughly the same age (well ok - a few years older!) and identifying so strongly with a lot of what you write.

Anyway, I'll keep reading, and if you feel you want to add to your profile so that I can understand things better, then that would be good!

Best wishes

Wendy

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wendy, HALVA is a fantastic girl in person - passionate about her work and fun to hang out with. oh, and she's a head-turner too. :-)

Ms J

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

35 is a GOOOOOOD age to be! You're young fit, sexy and accomplishing much in life. I envy your job ...sigh. I'll try to call you from out here if I can get the time difference right.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Halva said...

Ms J - thanks sweetheart for the overwhelming statements, love you

Sheila and Rara - i appreciate babes

Wendy - welcome!am well chuffed to have you reading my blog, and it is wonderful to know you relate to things that matter to me. I do prefer to hide behind anonymity :) but hopefully we'll find more things that bind us as we go along.

Cololocura - ah someone else is turning 35 soon eh! But you have 'sprog in utero' (love that line)so i envy that! I cant wait now to welcome Baby C!

6:09 AM  
Blogger Wondering Nomad said...

Committing suicide with liquid soap? Less painful than bleach I guess...I know, I know..insensetive of me..sorry

11:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi..er..have some personal question to ask u relating to substance abuse/rehab/counseling.can u pls email me at raydius_red@yahoo.com.thank you

11:10 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home