Friday, September 22, 2006

Ramadan Mubarak
















This week:

My colleagues have accused me of being Intense. This, when I was talking about America's Next Top Model.

I am not intense. I am easy as Sunday morning. And am on a mission to prove it.

Just because I analyze things to death, the grave and beyond, does not mean I am intense. I am merely thinking about stuff. For well-considered responses, you understand.

If I stew over events and insist on the principle of the matter, it means that I am deconstructing. I can deconstruct and be laid back at the same time. It is entirely compatible.

------------------------

Am working self to death - promotion spells more stuff to dump on you under thin guise of recognition, entry into the Exciting World of Management comprising endless and pointless meetings, more Clients getting on my nerves and abusing the system, more policy papers to write on top of daily work, nightly Arabic classes which are bloody hard and masters thesis over the weekend.

am tired, tired, tired.

Whinging aside, i do feel like life is Full. and have no time really now to go into a Funk. Or to over-analyze anything (which futher proves my non-intensity, skeptics take note).

Ok I admit. Work is great at the moment. I do feel Alive and infused with Purpose. And am working on Thrilling Life Changing paper that am hoping will launch me into a whole new world.

---------------------------

People can be so rude.

I was giving a lift to a colleague and we were talking about the upcoming Ramadan. I am looking forward to Ramadan - the older I get, the more I appreciate the finer aspects of fasting e.g. beyond the physical fast to more abstract forms of fasting to temper the soul and nurture the spirit.

Her response to me: "The Muslim fast is really unhealthy. Every Western doctor will tell you that. I dont know why you do it, it's ridiculous to go without food and water for so long".

It was like a kick in the stomach.

I am tired, tired, tired of defending and explaining my faith to people who choose to be so rude. If you don't believe in it fine - I don't care - just don't belittle me if I do. Especially if you're in my car.

R-E-S-P-E-C-T.

I have counseled my Christian Clients countless times on 'finding Jesus' when they come to me broken and suicidal, I have stoutly defended the Buddhist faith when people condemn the Buddhist Myanmar junta persecuting ethnic and religious minorities and I love the facets of yoga which deal with meditation that is so much a part of Hinduism.

When I went to the Borobudur last year I was blown away - monument of lava rock amidst emerald fields and a smoking volcano in the distance - and on the plane that was Nirvana, there were golden butterflies, dancing in the morning sun. (Perhaps Lita and I went a little overboard and missed the point a little when we became butterfly-obsessed and hunted them down with the zeal of a convert on mission to take the perfect photograph of gossamer wings against solid stupas - but hey, you can't blame us for not being appreciative.)

My Onion Man, Mr Chong, at the wet PJ market, which I go to every Sunday, told me this once:
"Your Ramadan is very good lah. Fasting is suffering. Suffering is good for you. Makes you a better person. Very good one"

These little philosophical nuggets from Chong, while I am selecting the garlic and ginger and chillies.

There's hope yet.

---------------------------

Ramadan Mubarak!

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely! Love this side of you! We're making progress!

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Selamat berpuasa Ms. Halva!! So far so good for me altho baru 2 hari..am quite nervous fasting whilst being 6 mths pregnant..but am taking it easy, kalau tak tahan buka saje rite?

8:01 PM  
Blogger Inn said...

hey you. selamat menyambut ramadhan :) Semoga amalan puasa kita diberkati.

as always, you take care.

2:26 AM  
Blogger [V]landa said...

i hate it when my non muslim friends tell me fasting and going on for such long hours without water is unhealthy and etc.

and then ask me to accompany them for lunch at the restaurant when they very well know im fasting.

no respect i tell u!

selamat menyambut ramadhan, halva.

2:53 AM  
Blogger [V]landa said...

hmm, v interesting insight, rara

9:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just watching the latest episode of ANTM...am so very irritated with Monique...and notice that Tyra is gettin a bit chubby..

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad to hear a cheery tone once in a while!

10:19 AM  
Blogger Ms J said...

sure wish you'd update your lbog more often and allow us insights into your food for thoughts :-)
re non muslim friend making such remarks - you should just tell him as it is - that it is rude etc and try to educate him from YOUR point of view. if you dont tell, they would never know your logic to fasting and will think muslims simply follow the books because it says so. be prepared to disagree tho. not everybosy shares the same view on ramadhan. :-)
hugs

9:16 AM  
Blogger Halva said...

therapist - thanks, I thought I'd give you a break!

ezly- selamat berpuasa to you to! Congratulations on the latest news....take it easy with the fasting babe

inn - selamat menyambut ramadan! hope its going well for you, and thanks for stopping by.

ylandabob - la, kesian la. I know lah how that feels i think its rude rude rude.

rara - thanks for that! i never knew pun.

sofie - we are so behind here, only up to the Nicole menang episode. Who is monique?

fazu - gosh have i been such a crab lately?....

miss j - yes i do try and educate but sometimes you know, i'm just tired. people dont have to love or rave about ramadan - they just have to respect others who do.

12:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Selamat Hari Raya! Wish I was there to celebrate with you! I really miss this time of year!!!!

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey ...

please update your blog!!! Hate logging in and finding no updates for weeks now.

Think of something to write quickly.

12:33 PM  
Blogger lita said...

hurry up and post them stories and pics!! (welcome back!)

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yes, we know that al-qaeda and iraq are related...but mana perginya gambar-gambar dan cerita dari Mesir?

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps bexause most nons find it a hypocrisy. while some (not all there r some Very good muslims around) muslims claim to be muslims and reap t Benefits of being one, they are hardly practising but use it as an excuese. ex. why would u say nons dont respect u but ask yr self why , coz you (not you halve but muslims) drink , have pre marrital sex etc so they think, hey whats wrong in askIng her 4 lunch.

4:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home