Saturday, January 13, 2007

Bangers and Mash


Here's a picture I took of an old couple in a park, in Alexandria.
Its not the best-taken photograph but I had to capture this surreptitiously.
It's so sweet.
Hopefully if I'm blogging at the age of 82, here's a future picture of me in a park knitting. In Alexandria, with my trusty partner, who's reading the morning paper. And we have a thermos with hot soup and a baguette for lunch.*sigh*
I must say that I am humbled by the requests for blogging, it's totally driven me to write today. Thanks guys.
New Year has started with a complete BANG.
BANG into my new managment position.
BANG into the shit that you run into when you're middle management.
BANG into the inevitable weekends that you have to put in because middle management sits in that unfriendly spot where everyone squeezes you in, because they can.
BANG into a new fitness regime - I have joined a netball group. Although definitely a sissy version of basketball, it is nevertheless invigorating. I had never met the other girls in the team before, save for my colleague who got me along. So today was our first game, and I had to be relegated to the corner practising my jumps and 'footwork' i.e. pivoting around on your 'landing foot' so you dont lose marks. Very challenging. (jump-land-pivot, jump-land-pivot)
I have already been invited to a friendly match tomorrow, where I will be positioned in the worst place possible - Wing Attack, or WA for the initiated. I have traditionally (ahem) been the GS (Goal Shooter) or GD (Goal Defense) and had ventured to tell the captain so, but seeing that the last tournament was reportedly against 6, 4" androgynous women with more testosterone than the obligatory male referee, it was decided that i was best suited outside of the D-area where most of the action would be. I then thankfully accepted to be a WA.
also....
BANG into a yet another new hairstyle. Have had a total of 4 haircuts in the space of 3 months, (the 4th one being today, after netball) and the net result is a short, curly crop not unlike a 1920s style. Am very pleased with this one I must say, such a leap from being lead character from My Little Pony.
BANG into meeting new people - new colleagues and bosses to entertain had drinks Thursday night with fabulous conversation with French, Swedish and Mexican viewpoints on the world. Plus the netball girls have invited me for Taboo and clubbing. Maybe I can hustle in on the D-scene with the GD/GS hotshots
BANG into already planning parties (other people's) - housewarmings, pool parties (hey its part of social service)
and on a sober note,
BANG into natural disasters. And the worrisome climate changes. God help the people in Johor.
It's only been 2 weeks and am already exhausted.
2007 is decidedly eventful.
Wonder what will happen in February.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

glad that you've gotten your ass into gear and started blogging regularly again! keep it up missus!! enjoyed your laporan dari mesir. may possibly take the trip myself in feb, but as i'll be with the folks, there'll be no need to take pseudo hubby!

2:08 AM  
Blogger Ms J said...

...and BANG! she's back! you have been soooo missed! send me a pic of your 20s style hairdo pls! i need a makeover myself.

6:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhhh finally with a "Bang" you have resumed blogging:-) Now I can go back to my silent reading. Please don't make me leave a comment again for you to resume blogging....I much rather read in silence. Thank you for your stories.

7:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

re: sitting down in a park at 82 with trusty partner on one's side - sigh.....

i never understood netball - or any other ballgame for that matter - but from the sound of it you are having a great time.

hugs, fazu

7:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want piccie of 1920s hairstyle too! i'll trade you a piccie of me with sprog in utero.

1:18 PM  
Blogger lita said...

you cut it again?! must see! i cut mine too, and now its extra curlywurly. yeay eric!

glad to hear netball working out well for you. no time for gasing anymore then?

:(

2:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

11 days since your last update...tsk, tsk, tsk and I thought I would never need to leave a comment here again! Your stories are missed.

10:34 PM  
Blogger lita said...

it's february. update!

9:35 PM  
Blogger [V]landa said...

Def sounds like this could be your year :)

7:44 PM  
Blogger Halva said...

Sheila - i miss you girl, i do. i promise as soon as life settles down a bit i want to plan my trip to see ya

Ms J - my hair keeps growing every 5 weeks damnit short hair is expensive!

Anonymous - I know I've let you down oh dear will try harder promise

Fazu - how can describe the void in my heart without you? must catch up soon

Cololocura - i have no pictures of me now but yes please send pix of you and sprog! yay yay

Lita - cant believe I still havent seen your new hair tsk tsk what busy lives we lead

Rara - yes walkeroos badly needed!

Ylanda - i certainly hope i make it through 2007!

6:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home