Halva in India


At last, I am blogging again.
In fact at long last, I am blogging again.
Too many things have taken place in the brief 1.5 months that I have been here, but suffice to say these photographs are symbolic of my impressions of this city so far.
In fact at long last, I am blogging again.
Too many things have taken place in the brief 1.5 months that I have been here, but suffice to say these photographs are symbolic of my impressions of this city so far.
Delhi is 1) Imposing and Intimdating 2) Intricate - complex and diverse and 3) There's a picture of me in the white and turqoise walking up to God Knows Where.
I don't know where I am going or what I am going to find, but I am walking up anyway.
It's been so hectic just finding an apartment in a city with the distinction of one of the highest property markets in the world that I have been simply exhausted by it all - now that I have found a tiny, 2-room cosy rooftop terrace apartment with funky bathroom tiles and the view of the street below, I guess am pretty much settled.
My neighbour downstairs is a French-Indian couple who invited me to a dinner party last week, where I met the following people: 2 independent film directors, 2 journalists, 1 editor for Asian spa, 1 restauranteer, 1 water management expert and 2 humanitarian workers fresh from Kabul.
My unhealthy obsession with work is soon apparent given the limits of my social conversation skills, but at least I am able to impress Film Director#1 with my knowledge on the difference between trafficking and smuggling, and convince him that he needs to make a film on refugees.
Somehow it all doesn't make great dinner conversation.
I have since enrolled in a super yoga class http://www.navtejjohar.com/ which starts at 7am - in which I met an art curator flying off to Vienna to attend an exhibition. The other day I was standing in the rain at a vegetable cart when out of impulse I shared my umbrella with a girl standing next to me. She took to the gesture and helped me converse in Hindi with the vendor. I later bump into her at B-Mart, the friendly neighbourhood grocery store, and she hands a card telling me she lives in the neighbourhood and to call her anytime. She's a fashion designer from Bangalore.
All of a sudden, I feel the urgent need to be uber-interesting in order to be socially adequate.
It does NOT help that out of a fit of madness, I made the deranged decision of walking into a random beauty salon (yes it was actually called 'salon' with the dubious name of 'Madonna') to have a haircut.
I walked out looking like a poofy-headed extra for a bad 70's inspired musical. Or an Asian family member of the Hanson brothers.
I had to urgently source a corrective stylist. I was referred to a Frenchman who promised a tres chic repair, but he charges 2000 rupees (around RM200). Desperate to save my ridiculous crown, I manage to find a Bollywood hairdresser charging half the amount who looked incredibly Malaysian with her half-Nepali and half-Chinese parentage. She told me that the top of my head was literally cut in the shape of a block.
A blockheaded Malaysian female who can't stop jabbering about forced migrants is decidedly not attractive.
Thankfully, the story ends well, as the exotic coiffeur manages to save the day and I lose the audition for a glittery role in nostalgic Hindi song-and-dance clips.
This Friday I am scheduled for my first feel-good Bollywood film called 'Bachna Ae Haseeno', and a party for Saturday with Americans, it seems, that I have to attend with a new-found friend who is a lawyer as well as a high-altitude mountain trekker (of course).
Will be furiously watching CNN until then.

4 Comments:
hey youre back!!!! the link you left on TRD was: http://www.halve.blogspot.com/
and entitled "underground hitler community" (que?!) i lept clicking and going through the archives and was most confused and then realsed it could be (is!) a typo. esp after coming here and finding an update (hurrah, finally!). im going to correct the link.Feel free to delete this comment except for the part where i say its good to see you again and im soooo looking forward to reading you again.
what?! we wont be seeing you in a B movie bollywood song and dance flick just because your luscious pout and toussled crown had been rectified?
welcome back, dear halva..dont let us wait too long for the next indian update!
I am pretty sure that all those people you met are blogging about how thay have just realised how unfulfilling their lives are after meeting uber-cool Malaysian NGOer. Nothing like getting out of the comfort zone to start the random meetings started eh??!
huzzah. welcome back. look forward to more more more.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home