Yoga Retreat
*Trying out Rara's wordle (how do I copy on the big version? signed, IT idiot)*I went for a Yoga retreat this weekend at the beautiful Sanskriti Foundation residence at http://www.sanskritifoundation.org/
Of course, my camera gave out during the pivotal weekend and I have no photographs to show.
But the whole experience blew-my-mind. Into little pieces.
It is the Reason why, of the 4 countries selected for my mission, it had to be India.
For this weekend. Alone.
When the effort to cling on to a Higher power is at times sorely tested to the point of serious tension, any affirmation to the worldview in your mind's eye is a veritable oasis to a parched, dehydrated spirit.
There was much to process - I tried to put it all on the wordle to save the memory but of course it is dismal effort.
Whatever that takes the Self away from the Self is yoga. Creating conducive centres in the mind to deal with agitation. Strategies and visualization to travel from one point to another. Connecting with external energies but resisting its inherent orbit to retain the character of the mind. Intelligence of the sun, alignment of the chakras, reconstitution of the body, not fixing.
The meditation of Zero-ness - to still the mind. The importance of ritual. Daily commitment and reaffirmation. Honesty of body capacity. Breathing as a link between mind and body. Chanting, asana, pranayama. Mindfulness - as the kernel of spirituality.
Mindfulness, self-awareness - the greatest gift of all.
I was taught a daily ritual in Sanskrit, which I had to memorize - by touching the body - niyasa. I begin with my fingers, and I name them to call upon them to awaken and receive.
I am ready to face the day.
The best part of all was the obvious parallels between the ancient Sutra wisdom and the rituals I believe in - suddenly, it has meaning and consequence and reason.
Someone explained it to me and I am so thankful that the world makes sense again.

1 Comments:
wow. sounds amazing!
would love to do somefink like that.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home