Friday, April 07, 2006

I met a hero

Returned from work trip which was emotionally exhausting. Draining even.

Unintentionally broke terrible news to an applicant about her husband. I thought she knew already and was in shock to realise that she had not been told by the people entrusted to tell her. That she had to hear it from me.

Her chest heaved and she was going to sob - then she held herself back. I said I was sorry to be the one to bring bad news and that perhaps this was not a good time to hear it. She said, Thank you. Even though you didnt mean to maybe, you were destined to tell me. It was God's doing. Then she composed herself and said, I can deal with the truth. Its better than killing yourself with questions.

What strength. What faith. What beauty and grace.

I honour her today.

I honour her today.

I honour her today.

I can't stop thinking about her. She called herself stupid, once. She has no idea how inspirational she is to all of us at the office. A woman's woman.

A hero.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You too are an amazing woman, the job you do is inspirational. I kid about what you do, but you help those that the rest of us, or at least I, choose not to think about. My job on the other hand, involves indulging whinning, complaining and more often than not, the most annoying people in the world, who do not realise how lucky they are and take so much for granted.

On a lighter note though, in the words of the enlightened Oprah, the applicant you talk about is not a hero, but a SHE-ro!!

7:04 AM  
Blogger waffles said...

When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on -
Franklin D. Roosevelt

11:06 PM  
Blogger Inn said...

and you dear lady, is such an inspiration to me. u are my hero.

6:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your postings are a lot less frequent...is everything ok?

7:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

your postings are a lot less frequent...is everything ok?

7:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home