Thursday, October 09, 2008

Selamat Hari Raya Indeed

I feel about 100 years old right now.
I must admit, this Ramadan was particularly trying - the scorching Delhi heat coupled with intense humidity thanks to climate change and all (September was supposed to be pleasant), the punishing work schedule and pushing myself to over-perform in an obsessive effort to prove myself in this new job, the office viral fever contagion which apparently is a monsoon phenomenon......but as my onion man in the old PJ market, Mr Chong, would say: Suffering is good for you, makes the spirit strong-mah.

Then my folks came over and we had a crazy 4 day trip to Udaipur and Agra, with two 12-hour train rides, cramping together in auto-wheelers feeling every bump on the roads, sitting on a boat with filthy lifejackets, walking beside elephants, camels, donkeys, big white cows and all the other animals that roam the streets of India.......and I am ashamed to admit I had to constantly play catch-up with 60 year olds who have energy levels of teenagers. I was begging at some point to just sit down, put my feet up and have a cup to tea for crying out loud - but no - there were sights to see, shopping to do and food to taste - 40 is the new 20 indeed!

In fact my nutty mum, who has just been offered a full-time job at the ripe old age of 62, would land in KL today at 6.30am and trot off to the office at 9.00am, for a management meeting and a budget meeting in the afternoon. I know she is completely chuffed at being given a second chance at a career - talking excitedly about her massive plans to change the face of information management as we know it today throughout the holiday - and of course buying silk scarves in five shades of green to match the new kain she was furiously shopping for in anticipation of her interaction with the new world.

Today I am lying in bed burning up a fever in complete exhaustion from Ramadan, the manic holiday, the great effort it has taken me all month to live up to work expectations, the Delhi weather, the draining sights of the harsh life-existence in the streets..........but to sound
disgustingly sappy, love really does conquer all. So - a big thank you - to family who came, saw, thoroughly enjoyed and was genuinely grateful for all the efforts I had taken to meticulously arrange for our holiday. As my yoga teacher says - Acknowledgment is all that is needed to make one function.
And what I have learnt this month? The key to happiness and life - energy.
Energy will help you combat compassion fatigue, the onset of illnesses and gives you the extra batteries needed to smile and be nice eventhough you feel like chomping someone's head off. Energy makes you bothered enough to have a haircut, wax your legs and put on make-up. Energy makes you a good and attractive person.
I will now devote myself to the pursuit of energy - I need to shake off this aged frame - and feel young and beautiful again.

6 Comments:

Blogger rara_avis said...

energy to blog huzzah!
selamat hari raya - maaf zahir batin.

7:33 AM  
Blogger lovelylin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

2:24 AM  
Blogger lovelylin said...

hi,
hope u're enjoying delhi as much as i did.. hehe. i miss the cheap bargaining clothes in sarojini nagar and the crazy autowalla drivers around town. but to live there again... err..... *scratches head* kena fikir banyak kali ohhhhh! hehe

anyway, selamat hari raya!

2:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hei babes! Selamat Hari Raya, maaf zahir batin

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

selamat hari raya, kepada saudara serta saudari,
setahun hanya sekali, merayakan hari yang mulia ini...
SELAMAT HARI RAYA!!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Halva said...

Thanks for the Raya wishes guys! Hope you had a good one too, maaf zahir batin from me.

And thank you, Sharifah Aini, for stopping by :)

8:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home