Friday, November 14, 2008

Of Blasphemy

KK and I were graciously invited to the tango teacher's birthday party last Wednesday. KK brought on behalf of us an exotic gift of an Afghan Pushto shawl worn by Mujahideen with Kalashnikovs from her Kabul days.
And true to Delhi form, I met a striking Austrian-Haitian couple - He works for an international NGO and She is a stunning, cat-like beautiful black woman who is a jazz singer by profession. I also met a hot Carribean woman from the Dominican Republic who is a 'yogadance' instructor, who infuses western ballet, yoga and indian classical movement into a contemporary dance (?)
In any case, the Haitian-Carribean duo did a performance of an interpretive dance and a capella singing of Violetta Parra's Gracias A La Vida in Spanish, then translated and explained in English.
Amazing, really.
Then I met this military man who writes poetry and does an Israeli martial art called Kravmaga and I spent a fascinating evening learning its philosophy and mechanics. I had though to ask my stupid question for the night "So, did you learn it from the Mossad then" (har,har). He didn't find that funny though.....so it turned out that one side of the room you had people dancing to tango and salsa, and the other side of the room there was me and army guy simulating strangulation, arm defence and kicks. Nice......
So taken was I by this man that we met again for coffee the next day in my neighbourhood where he showed me his poetry and drawings, and showed me some more Kravmaga moves. KK sent me a frantic text "Are you on an Israeli Kungfu date?" Of course not. I just find him interesting.
In any case, KK has built up an impressive dossier against me to complain to the 'Malaysian mullahs'. I do yoga, am learning a Jewish martial art and yesterday when I turned up to office with a full-blown Indian shalwar kameez outift the office ladies were so thrilled they put on a matching-coloured bindi on my forehead. Plus tomorrow I shall be going to a Roman Catholic church with TJ to view the veneration ceremony of the recently canonised nun of India.
I wisht the imams would realise that all of the above have only strengthened my faith and enhanced my relations with others to such a respectful degree that I can troop into TJ's room and perform my zohor prayers without feeling the slightest bit odd, or that KK insists that we get halal everytime we go for dinner or that B never orders pork in front of me although I tell him it's not a problem.
And if it had the converse effect, that would be entirely between me and my Maker.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im soooooo enjoying reading your entries.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Ms J said...

amen to progressive thinking muslims like you...so, on a high-schoolgirl note...is this kungfu israeli guy, like..cute or supercute?

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Halva, your entries have been delightful to read. I will be moving to Noida in a few months' time, and am looking forward to it immensely! Hope to read more of your Delhi experience.

H

2:35 AM  
Blogger Angel L said...

Love reading your blog. Any more info on the `interesting' Israeli guy?

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home