A Rather Eventful Week
*Ambassador cars - India's classic, UdaipurBan Ki Moon.....
came to Delhi. Spoke a little Hindi and exhorted humility in service and the critical need for staff to restore public trust in the world body. I found most people scornful of his lack of charisma and influence when compared to Kofi Annan. As a fellow Asian, I hope he proves them wrong.
Tango Night
B insisted that we go and KK had to drag me kicking and screaming to a house party as was feeling irritable and tired after an exhausting day. Greeted by a striking Italian woman dressed in a flouncy black dress and red tango shoes, standing on a large, bare polished wooden floor amidst Venetian-yellow painted walls. We walked in gingerly, and was ushered into a tastefully decorated apartment which was delightfully eclectic - Indian archeological pieces and Buddha heads resting upon a European-style mahogany chest with antique brass handles amidst a towering, glass cabinet and a reflexology chart framing the piece de resistance - a monster plasma tv mounted on the wall - screening tango dancers in flashy costumes on a stage. And a multi-coloured, reclining Ganeshji staring silently at the dance floor as though yearning to be freed of his ceramic prison. There was even a splendid mirror against the wall, just like a proper studio.
We headed for the kitchen and placed our contribution on the bar top, while the hostess fussed over a steaming hot tray of oven-baked bruschetta. The crowd was starting to arrive, and as they did they made instantly for the dance floor, accompanied by the seductive, sonorous tunes of tango-milonga music. B said we had to dance - KK and I backed up against the wall and tried to plaster ourselves onto the bar-top in abject fear as we observed the dancers. It was bloody intense, I'll tell you that, with smouldering gazes and legs weaving in and out of each other and the dippy-dip stuff. Completely intimidating. However B of course insisted we went to the living area beside the dance floor to relax against the plush cushions and at least acquaint ourselves with the moves by watching the screen. We then made ourselves comfortable in that very lovely home and of course the hostess S was entertaining and kind, introducing us to the rather friendly incoming group and re-filling our drinks. And oh, the shoes! The beautiful dance shoes, criss-crossing across their feets, dragging sensously across the floor. Accentuating the swirls, the air electric with open intimacy, the underlying chemistry, the frisson. Lulled by this fascination, it was altogether too late for KK to refuse the advances of Creepy Indian guy who made his way suddenly and requested a dance. Eeks. She managed her escape though and slinked back into the warm folds of the sofa, now cautious and wary of newcomers. Then Super-hot Bald Indian dude came over and on bended knee asked me to dance. Breathless and charmed, I acquiesced, but was immediately disconcerted when he began by saying, "Your aim in life is to follow the movement of my body". Yikes.
I then sought the most fool-proof anti-dance strategy by placing myself next to a Chatty American, which successfully occupied my attention for at least the next hour talking about the US elections and in the process, succesfully repelling any other potential dance requests/other human company within close proximity. Sensing our discomfort, S changed to some Cuban-style salsa dancing later which was a lot less invasive and more forgiving on technique....so people just let down their hair and had fun. S was absolutely beautiful to watch, all the more with a handsome Italian partner dressed fully in white linen and a fedora. KK for the first time since she got to India went completely nuts with a young, nubile and very engaging dance instructor.......I find out later that S not only speaks fluent Hindi, but does Thai massage and reflexology. But of course, only the multi-talented seem to be present in this city......We were dropped home by M, a tango fanatic in her 60s, who invited us to a Tango Salon on Tuesday. I got an email the next day from her, which started with the words, "Dear members of the Tango Family"......honestly, we should have been voted out of the Tribe.
The Question of God
After a sinful lunch the next day with AT and KK at a lovely Italian spot with low beams and enveloping shrubbery (the tiramisu was exquisite), we watched a four-hour film at the India International Centre on The Question of God, a documentary/discussion format on philosophies of spirituality, faith and the meaning of life - examined from the opposing viewpoints of Sigmund Freud, an atheist, and CS Lewis, an influential Christian by a panel comprising an atheist, an agnostic, fervent born-again Christian, a Jungian analyst, an independant filmaker, a New-Age religious faithful and a physician/scientist on an ecclesiastical journey, clearly possessing a tormented soul ("the lurking fear of eternal damnation'....) It is during these moments that I can actually imagine the doors of my mind being opened. The discussions were so profound, that it has to rank as Amazing Event #4.
Coffee at the Book Cafe
I spent my Sunday at the Book Cafe down the street, sunken into a giant chair with multiple cups of espresso and the latest copy of The Economist and the Delhi Time Out - circling furiously all the events I will be attending the next week. It is at these moments that I finally feel something of the peace and serenity I have sought for such a long time. Where my life is Truly my own - ready to embrace everything I want and need for self-enlightenment and fulfillment. It is incredibly self-serving and indulgent, but precious nonetheless. For today at least, I am content in my own skin.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home