Of Clutter and Catharsis
Its a whole new year and I'm a thirtysomething, unemployed, financially destitute, struggling social activist with no career direction......and my cherry on the cake for 2004 is a cross generational relationship with a social deviant stubbornly clinging on to a lifestyle of an aged rockstar.
Outlook for 2005? Irrational optimism - i just feel positive and lucky, despite what things look like now. And i owe it to an unexpected catharsis which came upon me as I cleaned out my clutter. Literally and metaphysically. And i recommend it to anyone who has new-year blues and needs a clean hit.
Clutter is a hindrance to both physical movement i can't move past the Paper Stack Mountain and Laundry Hill and mental release I found my chequebook hence can now pay bills and avoid legal action and possibly jail.
Admittedly, I did not embark upon a de-cluttering frenzy in full, informed knowledge of its therapeutic effects. I just got cleaning because it was getting to a stage where every object in my room had grown legs and assumed nomadic status. I was a freaking mess.
And the resulting wisdom acquired post-event: Letting go of clutter stops you from clinging on to your past like clothes you bought in the vain hope of reclaiming your 20something body.
In the process i also made new and exciting discoveries:
- I have more cold, hard cash than i realised RM50.64 from folded notes in pockets and in 'secret' hiding places so secret i forgot where it was
- I am awash with foreign liquid assets renminbi, dong, rupees and baht in spare change
- I have enough handbags made out of straw and jute to rival cottage industries in the Philippines and Bangladesh it's essential activist chic dah-links
- i have enough wraps and scarfs in colours that match the straw and jute bags fashionista for a cause now all i need are corresponding colours in beads and semi precious stones
- I am surrounded by biodiversity worthy of at least a TV pendidikan documentary it's amazing how organisms can flourish even in dark, neglected corners
Labels have become my best friend - despite this disturbing statement it really does help to know just where the hell everything is. And it is unbelievable how much clutter one is capable of accumulating, and its the little things that drive you absolutely up the wall-
paper clips i had these box of stripy paper clips which kept crashing on the floor i know now they were possessed by Satan to thwart my efforts to emotionally cleanse like agents of the devil they kept flying as if by supernatural force to the far corners of the room all that was needed was a 3 year old with a a tricycle, a nanny and a big, black doberman
tiny luggage locks with tiny keys attached why cant we have more trust in airport staff
coins in local and foreign currency i have new found respect for numismatists
articles on miscellaneous topics from fitness tips to personality quizzes i feel proactive by mere possession
greeting cards from friends and family which you die to receive but have no idea what to do with next
freebies from exhibitions greedily collected in bulk i will not let go of those plastic pink rotating mobile fans
The entire exercise took 4 stressful weeks and the feeling i had upon completion was indescribable - indeed close and dear friends described it as no less than 'achievement'.
I can now fish out a recipie on springs rolls for a quick nosh and get dolled up in a dash for the evening with my gleaming, white labels providing guidance and light. I can see the sun's rays spear through the room and rejoice that it does not beam upon suspended dust particles. I can summon fresh paper at will and file away an article titled "The Science of Love" with alacrity. I can now freely and gladly invite friends and family to the room without the shame-faced, apologetic schpiel about how busy i've been lately in a weak attempt to justify the disorder.
Most importantly, i can stop hiding behind the physical chaos and start resolving issues that got tangled together with the stripy clips and luggage locks.
Satan, thy forces are vanquished the clips have stayed firmly in their box for 5 weeks now.

3 Comments:
It took (gulp) 4 weeks????? Must have been halva mess, heheh. Must secure invite to this brand spanking new room of yours. Good job.
Thanks it was worth the effort and consider an open invitation for the room visit(now that i have uncovered your identity!). I can provide a full tour with extended narrative on clutter history.
The total time was actually 4 weeks but i should have mentioned there were breaks in between - i had to make it a piecemeal effort to stave off a premature stroke as the stress of sorting out hair clips and pens was unbearable.
For anyone attempting to do this - it is wise to break up the mess-sorting to give yourself time to think of a system for organising clutter that you can actually maintain in the long term. This is probably the most basic advice ever but i only just got it licked.
De-cluttering. Bet that gave you one helluva workout!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home